by Norman Gough, University of Wolverhampton, UK
These pages have now been moved. Please link to the new pages
I have prepared a large index. It has been split into three parts for convenience: Gough, Goffe and Goff. The Gough part lists the names of Goughs classified under the UK, USA and Australia/Canada etc. At present the UK part covers includes will/probate material mostly from the period from 1850 - 1930. However there are numerous historical references, births and marriage details from a much wider period. (See below for detailed list of some of the sources.) I would welcome any information that will help to increase our knowledge, particularly with regard to emigration from the UK and Ireland. It you would like me to look up a name, feel free to E-mail me (Norman Gough) at email@example.com
In more detail, the index covers information from:
· UK Will index (1838-1935) (only Gough names)
· UK birth and marriage index (many included but detailed only for Goughs in Montgomery, Liverpool areas)
· Bibliographical information
· UK Census information
· Electoral role, Gloucestershire
· Memorial Incriptions Gloucestershire
· Piggots Gloucester 1880
· Pigot & Slater Directory of North & South Wales 1844
· Brinkworth, Wilts. Church Records, Index to Baptisms (1659-1856), by Clive Henly
· Frocester Marriage Register 1559 - 1800
· Worcester 1891 Census
· Kelly's Directory Liverpool 1895; Birmingham
· Slater's Street Directory of Liverpool
· Strays from Scotland in 1851 Census
· PCC Canterbury Wills 1605-1619, 1750-1800 and Yearbook
· Gough bibliography
· The Gough Collection, Birmingham Library Archives
Times obituries & court page
· Parish records for Chirbury, near Montgomery UK for 1500-1800 (complete)
· Cheshire wills 1492-1857 proved at the Chester diocesan consistory court, now held at the Record Office
· Parish records from Montfort, near Shrewsbury UK
· UK 1891 Census
· Goughs/Goffs in USA , Canada and Australia
· Rochester Genealogical Society Index to "Genesee Country Family File"
· Indiana Marriages Through 1850
· Emigration lists (only just started)
· Passengers from the R.M.S. Abyssinia, Liverpool - Queenstown - New York, Arrived May 24, 1872
· Emigrated to Australia (VicGold NCAP)
· Victoria's Archives Index to Inward Overseas Passengers from Foreign Ports 1852 - 1859
· Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), First World War
WW1 roll of honour
WW2 roll of honour
Barnsby, G.J. (1985) A History of Housing in Wolverhampton 1750-1975, Wolverhampton Library.
Gough H. de la P. (1954) Soldiering On.
Hart, C. (1995) The Forest of Dean - New History 1550-1818, Alan Sutton Publishing Ltd.
Mason, F. (1976) Wolverhampton. The Towm Commissioners 1777-1848, Wolverhampton Public Libraries.
Mason, F. (1979) The Book of Wolverhampton, Barracuda Books.
Money, J. (1977) Experience & Identity, Birmingham and the West Midlands 1760-1800, Manchester University Press.
Page, W. (Ed.) (1924) The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, iv, p.191.
Pennington, D.H. & Roots, I.A. (Eds.) (1957) The Committee at Stafford 1643-1645, Manchester University Press.
Roper, R. (1969) Trades and Professions in the Town 1802 (based on the Rate Book), Wolverhampton Library Local History Pamphlet.